The Lazarex Cancer Wellness HUB(s) is a place based and culturally appropriate safe space for community residents to talk about and address their health concerns across the continuum of cancer care. It is our goal to make the HUB a replicable model to improve cancer and overall health outcomes.
There are currently 3 HUBs established in Philadelphia (PA), Los Angeles (CA), and the East Bay (CA). Learn more about the model for the CWH program.
The Lazarex Cancer Wellness HUB aspires to change the way communities think about cancer, the actions they take that reduce cancer burden and achieve health equity.
News & Milestones:
- Lazarex Cancer Foundation Utilizes digital sherpa™ Train-the-Trainer Program to Create Health Equity (2022): Dr. Marya Shegog is all about health equity and when she joined the staff of Lazarex Cancer Foundation in January 2021, she knew right away that the foundation’s partnership with Patient Empowerment Network’s (PEN) digital sherpa™ Train-the-Trainer Program was going to help bring health equity to the communities that Lazarex serves.
- Cancer patients often need this one basic thing to participate in clinical trials (2019): The Philadelphia Inquirer’s Marie McCollough interviews Lazarex Cancer Foundation Founder Dana Dornsife about the foundation’s initiatives in Philadelphia.
- The Drexel School of Public Health (DSPH) completed a comprehensive survey (2020), “The State of Cancer in Philadelphia,” of the incidence, prevalence and risk factors of a broad range of cancers in Philadelphia and the West Philadelphia Promise Zone. This report, sponsored by Lazarex, provides the data and science side of the equation that shapes our outreach and engagement efforts and establishes a baseline against which we can measure our results.
- Lazarex Cancer Foundation Created a Program to Include More People of Color in Human Trials (podcast 2021) with Dr. Marya Shegog, Health Equity and Diversity Coordinator for Lazarex Cancer Foundation
- USC Norris Comprehensive Cancer Center to establish the Cancer Wellness HUBs with Lazarex Cancer Foundation grant (press release 2021)
- Philadelphia Pilot Program to Bridge Gap Between Patient and Provider (video newscast 2021): Great piece about Lazarex Cancer Foundation’s Community Impact Program at the Dornsife Center at Drexel University.